Pages

Translate

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Last Second Jesus

     As I read and prayed through the parable of the Ten Virgins several things came to mind. We will not go to heaven on someone else's spirituality and walk with God.  Yes, we all need a John the Baptist to point us in the right direction, but just like Andrew and James, after following Jesus, came back to John and asked the question,  "Is this the one whom you said you were not worthy to untie the strap on his sandal?  John said, "Go ask him yourself." He re-directed them out of love because he knew they needed to hear it for themselves from Jesus in order to have their faith strengthened.

      We have to be responsible for what we need in our faith journey and know where to go for it.  The key word, "Faith" which comes only from the Holy Spirit.  The extra oil that the five wise virgins brought spoke to me that when we know Jesus intimately we know that there will be times when it seems he may be slow in coming to us or a need we have, so what do we do?  It isn't running to someone else like the five virgins who did not come prepared, rather, it is like the five wise virgins, we get filled with more faith from the Source.  We ask for a "re-fill" if you will from the Holy Spirit to keep us going until Jesus comes. Their oil was about to run out but they re-filled their lamps and when Jesus came they were ready for the party and celebration that was going to last awhile!  They had gotten their "second wind."

     It was almost midnight in this parable and sometimes it seems as though Jesus is waiting to the last second in our lives and our situations but just like in this parable he did come as promised, so too will he in our lives.  It may not be in our timing, but he will come. The five wise virgins had brought extra oil.  This tells me these five not only knew who Jesus was, but they knew him intimately because they came prepared. It is up to us to be prepared. To keep ourselves filled with the burning oil of the Holy spirit in faith at all times and in every situation.

    In my own prayer,  I found myself asking, "What kind of oil do I have?"  "Is it enough?"  "Do I need an oil change?"  "Am I dependent upon anyone else other than Jesus in my faith journey?"  If so, why?"  Where in my faith do I not trust Jesus enough and why?"  "I know who Jesus is, but how well do I really "know" him?"
27-